24 Hour Help Line: 679-1922 Toll-free: 1-800-264-8682
Mailing address: P.O. Box 356, Stn A, Kentville, NS B4N 3X1
Administration phone: 902-679-6544
Women’s Outreach: 902-679-8324 firstname.lastname@example.org
Children’s Outreach: 902-680-6912 email@example.com
In House Children’s Coordinator: 902-698-3602 firstname.lastname@example.org
Family Transition Support Worker: 902-680-5470 email@example.com
Chrysalis House serves West Hants, Kings, and Annapolis Counties.
About Chrysalis House
Chrysalis House is a non-profit grassroots organization that provides shelter, support, counselling, advocacy, and outreach for abused women and their children. Services are available for women who have been psychologically, emotionally, physically, and/or sexually abused.
Public education and community development are also important elements of our Association.
The shelter operates 24 hours a day 365 days a year. There are absolutely NO FEES for service to women and children, and they may stay up to six weeks. This may be extended according to the needs of families.
Chrysalis House Provides:
- Free confidential services
- 24-hour crisis line
- 24-hour staffing
- A safe, comfortable living environment for up to six weeks
- Supportive counselling for women and children
- Help in understanding the legal and social services systems
- Group support
- A space for women to share their experiences and to gain confidence in their own abilities
A listening ear, information and support. If transportation is a problem, we can come to you. Please call to discuss with the outreach worker. Specify whether or not your call can be returned.
Accessing services from other agencies such as legal aid, community services, family court, etc. Advance notice is needed.
Outreach services in your community
Outreach Services Include: Courses on Abusive Relationships Sessions are available in a variety of formats to discuss various topics, including: dynamics of abuse, healing and recovery, self-esteem, anger, etc. Topics are generated by participants. Courses are free and are offered in various areas as requested by women.
Services for Children:
- Play and Learn Session: A fun and educational program
- In-house and outreach children’s program
- Individually, in-family, or within children’s group
- Always with a recreational component and the child/children’s input that may include arts and crafts, sports, games, drama, puppets, discussions, etc.
Children’s program goals, philosophy, content and duration will be discussed with the parent/caregiver who referred the child/children, prior to the play-and-learn session’s start. Issues to be addressed may include:
- Learning about family violence
- Identifying feelings
- Dealing with anger
- Conflict resolution skills
- Improving self-concept
- Building self-esteem
- Social skills
- Using social supports
- Dealing with feelings of responsibility for the violence
- Wishes for the family
- Exploring gender stereotypes
These services are FREE and CONFIDENTIAL. These services are not mandatory, they are accessed on a voluntary participation basis only.
Help us end violence against women, donate to Chrysalis House today.
You can donate by mail using the address above, contact the Administration if you have any questions. Donations are tax deductible.