The Transition House Association of Nova Scotia (THANS) is the Provincial Voice for Member Organizations that provide crisis and transitional services for women & their children experiencing violence and abuse.
THANS is seeking an exceptional candidate for the position of full time Provincial Coordinator. A Feminist perspective is expected and compassion for and commitment to the women we serve is paramount. The Provincial Coordinator will work from our Halifax office, and is accountable to the Management Committee and supervised by the Administration Committee.
The Provincial Coordinator will:
- Have a Post-secondary education in a related field and/ or a combination of education, skills, and experience
- Work collaboratively with and engage government and community partners to address the needs of the population we serve.
- Foster opportunities for mutual support of its Member Organizations
- Listen to & reflect the collective voice of our Members
- Provide research & analysis of current trends, legislation and policy as it impacts the women & children we serve
The Provincial Coordinator is responsible for:
- Public Education and training, including Board Governance Training for THANS Member Organizations
- Seeking out projects and partnerships that enhance the work of the Member Organizations
- Developing positive working relationships with government to address funding, policy development and legislation.
- Participating in local, provincial and national committees that foster strong partnerships and increase knowledge exchange
- Office and Financial Management
The Provincial Coordinator will also be accountable for the contractual obligations of THANS Project 1286143: NHISHIFIS Community Coordinator contract that THANS holds with Employment Supports and Development Canada:
Up to and including March 31, 2019, The Transition House Association of Nova Scotia (THANS) will provide emergency shelters and other homeless support service agencies using HIFIS in NS, with data coordination and analysis activities, training and technical assistance, and will support the current version of the HIFIS software and any subsequent versions. THANS will engage with community partners to better understand the size and characteristics of the homeless population, and will assist the community stakeholders with knowledge sharing activities, resulting in increased ability to report effectively on homelessness.
The Ideal Candidate will have:
- Knowledge of THANS and an understanding of the complexity of violence against women
- A high level of technical proficiency
- Excellent oral and written skills
- The ability to work independently and as a member of a team
- Proven ability as a liaison to, and communicating with government and other organizations
- Excellent attention to detail and interpersonal and problem solving skills
- Experience in maintaining professional records using approved tools
- Experience working in non- profit organizations and with Boards of Directors
- Demonstrated knowledge of policy and legislation as it pertains to VAW
- An understanding of political processes
- Experience with training and facilitation
The successful candidate must have a valid driver’s license, and provide a criminal record check to THANS before starting employment. The candidate shall assume any associated costs, as a condition of employment.
Wages will be commensurate with experience.
Qualified candidates should send their cover letter and resume, quoting # PC0930-CB to:
The Hiring Committee
The closing time and date for applications is 12:00 noon on Thursday, October 15, 2015.
We thank all candidates for their interest. Only those candidates who will be interviewed will be contacted. No phone calls please.