24 Hour Help Line: 893-3232 Toll free: 1-800-565-4878
Mailing address: P.O. Box 1681, Truro, NS B2N 5Z5
Administration phone: 893-4844
Outreach office phone: 895-9740
Outreach phone: 893-4844
Childcare Counsellor phone: 893-3232
Third Place Transition House serves Colchester and East Hants Counties and Truro.
- 24-hour crisis line
- shelter for 15 women and children
- support for women
- support for children
- 24-hour staffing
- a safe, comfortable living environment for as long as six weeks
- supportive counselling
- help in understanding the legal and social services systems (referral & advocacy)
- group support
- a space for women to share their experience and to gain confidence in their own abilities
- outreach workers for women and children
accompaniment to court, lawyers, social services, etc.
assistance with peace bond and court applications
individual supportive counselling
information and referral
- Moving On: A three phased program with specific components. This program is designed to assist women who have left abusive relationships to recognize what constitutes a healthy relationship. Topics include: Boundaries, Choices, Setting Goals, etc. Take Time: This group is for women who are currently in or have recently left an abusive relationship.
- Child Witnesses of Domestic Violence Abuse Education Program: This is an 8-week program for children who have been affected by domestic abuse. Topics include: family violence, dealing with anger, safety planning, self-esteem, etc. This group is facilitated by the Children Services Worker.
- Anger Management/Conflict Resolution: This is an 8-week program that focuses on feelings and how to deal with anger. Programs are structured depending upon need. Topics often include: anger at school and home, our bodies and anger, self-esteem, conflict resolution, etc.
- Public Education: Staff are available to make presentations or facilitate workshops focusing on a
number of topics to other professionals, community groups, community colleges, schools, etc.